This online training created by Sphere is based on the 2018 edition of the Sphere Handbook and reflects the major challenges currently faced by the humanitarian sector. It features realistic examples from complex and protracted crises, a range of settlement scenarios including urban settings, and covers many topics.
After completion of this course you will be able to define the rights of people affected by crises and disasters; discuss the value of the Sphere principles and standards in supporting a high-quality and accountable humanitarian response; and describe how to use the Sphere Handbook in key areas of humanitarian work including:
- Accountability to affected populations (AAP), which includes participation, building on and strengthening capacities and two-way communication;
- Needs and capacities assessment;
- Programme design, monitoring and evaluation and coordination;
- Upholding the rights, security and dignity of affected populations;
- Resilience and early recovery.