I defined myself as a broad-based, multi-disciplinary researcher. I thrive in connecting with people from very diverse backgrounds and origins and to work together to co-develop long-term forward-looking solutions for disaster risk reduction and climate adaptation.
My education includes a Master at Politecnico di Milano (Italy) in Environmental/geotechnical Engineering, a Master of Advanced studies in “Settlements upgrading for cooperation and development”, where I worked with local and international NGOs and local administrations in Nicaragua for disaster risk reduction, and a PhD at the Rock Mechanics Laboratory at the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (Switzerland). Now as Head of the CDR I can fully implement the transdisciplinary, participatory and inclusive approaches that I have developed through 20 years of experience and that I believe are fundamental for increasing Disaster Resilience locally and globally and build a sustainable society.
- Makris, S., Roverato, M., Dávila-Harris, P., Cole, P. and Manzella, I. (2023) “Distributed Stress Fluidisation: Insights into the Propagation Mechanisms of the Abona Volcanic Debris Avalanche (Tenerife) through a Novel Method for Indurated Deposit Sedimentological Analysis.”, Frontiers in Earth Science 11.
- Makris, S., Roverato, M., Lomoschitz, A., Cole, P. and Manzella, I. (2023) “The Propagation and Emplacement Mechanisms of the Tenteniguada Volcanic Debris Avalanche (Gran Canaria): Field Evidence for Brittle Fault-Accommodated Spreading.” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 435
- Casalbore, D., Di Traglia, F., Romagnoli, C., Favalli, M., Gracchi, T., Tacconi Stefanelli, C., Nolesini, T., Rossi, G., Del Soldato, M. , Manzella, I., Cole, P., Casagli, N., & Chiocci, F. L. (2022). Integration of remote sensing and offshore geophysical data for monitoring the short-term morphological evolution of an active volcanic flank: A case study from Stromboli Island. Remote sensing, 14(18), .
- Di Traglia, F., Fornaciai, A., Casalbore, D., Favalli, M. , Manzella, I., Romagnoli, C., Chiocci, F. L., Cole, P., Nolesini, T., & Casagli, N. (2022). Subaerial-submarine morphological changes at Stromboli volcano (Italy) induced by the 2019–2020 eruptive activity. Geomorphology, 400, .
- Fries, A., Lemus, J., Jarvis, P. A., Clarke, A. B., Philips, J. C. , Manzella, I., & Bonadonna, C. (2021). The influence of particle concentration on the formation of settling-driven gravitational instabilities at the base of volcanic clouds. Frontiers in Earth Science, 9, .
- Makris, S. , Manzella, I., Cole, P., & Roverato, M. (2020). Grain size distribution and sedimentology in volcanic mass-wasting flows: implications for propagation and mobility. International journal of earth sciences, 2679-2695.
- Baumann, V., Bonadonna, C., Cuomo, S., Moscariello, M. , & Manzella, I. (2018). Slope stability models for rainfall-induced lahars during long-lasting eruptions. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 359, 78-94.